Senior Reputation Manager
The team can rely on the Senior Reputation Manager to strategically position the client and/or brand(s) favorably with stakeholders. At the core, this person builds relationships with media, influencers, key opinion leaders and knows how to connect with each to support clients and brands to advance audience understanding. Roles include guiding hands-on implementation of various earned media/public relations programs, events and campaigns that advance our clients’ goals and build name recognition in their category/markets. This person is proactively leading and developing bigger ideas that support the client’s business as well as efforts that enhance, build and protect the online and offline reputation of our clients/brands.
- Working in a collaborative environment with team-based colleagues, the senior reputation manager is responsible for these core deliverables:
- Drives the planning process for PR: Tapping research/insights, considers marketplace trends, and develops on-point strategies and tactics.
- Because this person studies the industry, he/she is able to prepare a point-of-view on topics of interest and disruption to the client and/or brand and guide a client to address with poise and ease.
- Understands how to leverage thought leadership and work with internal and external subject matter experts to position the company or brand in positive, proactive ways.
- Ideate, conceptualize and execute day-to-day earned media/PR activities for client accounts, as assigned.
- Understand and utilize brand journalism. Tell journalism-style stories for our clients (and our agency) that make readers want to know more – stories that don’t read like marketing or ad copy. Find ways to tell real and interesting stories as a way to get our messages across directly to audiences through a variety of media.
- Build and maintain editorial calendars for relevant media outlets; proactively identify, pitch and secure stories that advance clients’ brands/business goals.
- An eye for results-oriented thinking: Ensure a plan is in place to monitor/track/report on earned/owned media coverage, including online brand sentiment, and other valuable metrics set as priorities per the client/industry. Partner with agency analyst to develop and refine measurement strategies for PR campaigns.
- Identify when to involve or recruit influencers or subject matter experts to boost engagement.
- Lead clients through crisis: Serve as a crisis communications counselor, in collaboration with the head of reputation management, in times where controversy, executive coaching or other pressing needs arise.
- Keep abreast of industry and competitive trends and regularly inform team of noteworthy news items and opportunities.
- Conduct media and topic research to strengthen media lists/databases; perform media outreach and follow-up, as needed.
Desired Qualifications/Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree is required. Ideal candidate will have majored in communications, English, journalism, public relations or a similar discipline.
- 7-10 years of professional experience.
- Food animal production/processing or animal health experience; foodservice and retail experience also beneficial.
- Ability to mentor others and review work for quality and help others hone their strategic and critical thinking.
- Excellent consensus-building skills along with stellar communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Range of experience writing and editing content for various mediums (from 280 characters to long-form articles) and with superb attention to detail.
- Exhibit creativity and resourcefulness.
- Excellent analytical and presentation skills including handling many assignments simultaneously.
- The ability to review/proofread and ensure accurate written material.
- Excellent time-management skills with the ability to multitask and prioritize multiple assignments, and deliver solid results while working under pressure.
- The ability to work independently and collaboratively with teammates and clients, as needed.
- Solid knowledge of Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) and web-based public relations tools.
- The ability to handle confidential and sensitive information with the appropriate discretion.
- Good judgment and decision-making skills.
- Knowledge of AP Style preferred.
— 01.18.18 —